In the last post, we focused on what forgiveness is NOT. This post will turn the tables and remind us what forgiveness actually IS.
- Choosing to keep no record of wrongs (based on First Corinthians 13:4-5).
- The process of letting go
- Refusing to punish the person who hurt you
- Using discretion in sharing facts about the hurt
- To give up on getting even
- Refusing to replay the past
- “Surrendering your right to hurt those who have hurt you.” – Dr. Archibald Hart
- A choice / your decision
- A gift you give yourself
- Returning to God His right to be the Judge
- Purging negative thoughts and feelings
- The healing which draws out the poison
- “The key which unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred.” – Corrie ten Boom
How we actually “do” forgiveness will be the topic of our next post. For now, focus on these truths from First Corinthians 13 in the Message Bible, “Trust God always. Always look for the best. Never look back. Keep going to the end.”
©2014 Starting Over Single