- They need to know their parents’ divorce is not their responsibility.
- They need a developmentally and age-appropriate explanation of why the divorce occurred.
- They need to spend time with both parents, regardless of how their parents feel about it.
- They need continuous care and guidance from both parents.
- They need a regular daily and weekly routine, without alternating patterns and disruptions.
- They need to not have to blame or choose sides.
- They need to be able to like both parents since they are the product of both parents.
- They need constant reassurance.
- They need to love many people (step-parents, relatives, etc) without being made to feel guilty or disloyal.
- They need to give and receive love.
- They need to honestly express their feelings whether they feel angry, sad or fearful.
- They need to not have to make adult decisions.
- They need to remain children and not become an adult companion, friend or comforter to their parents.
- They need to never have to choose with whom to live. This is a decision for wise adults.
- They need to never become the messenger.
- They need to never have to choose between their parents.
Do you have anything to add?
©2015 Starting Over Single