As we begin to think about a new year and Starting Over Single, it’s helpful to think about goals.
New Year’s Resolutions are usually broken by the time the calendar flips over to February, but goals can be measured, evaluated and adjusted.
We all want to move forward in life, but sometimes we need a little boost. The following list includes some productivity habits we can initiate for 2016:
- Begin each day with a list of tasks you want to accomplish during that day. Sometimes it is more helpful to think in terms of one-day-at-a-time rather than long-term resolutions.
- Make a red flag list. Write down things you are doing that you would like to eliminate today. Just writing them down is a reminder that you’re working on becoming a better person.
- Determine where and how you are wasting time. I give all my coaching clients a 168 hours chart to fill out. We all have 168 hours each week. Once we see the times and places where we waste productivity, we can begin to change those bad habits.
- Which new habit would you like to practice today? Again, focus on just this day. Today, I will avoid sugary snacks and drinks. Today, I will take the steps instead of the elevator. Today, I will determine to forgive my “wasband.” Just do it – today.
- Use a gratitude journal. Find a nice notebook and begin to record at least three things daily that you are grateful for. As we focus on our gratitudes and our blessings, we become more joyful – which helps to motivate us for the tasks of today.
- Make a connection phone call today. We all need to connect with someone and build relationship. Call a friend and schedule a coffee time for next week. Call your church and find out about new cell groups for 2016, then determine that you WILL participate. Call a family member you didn’t see over Christmas and wish him or her a happy new year. Connect with someone today.
- Begin each day by reading one Proverb in the Bible and end each day by reading one Psalm. Whisper a prayer of gratitude, because God is the one who will help you be more productive, more joyful and more grateful during 2016.
These are some of the productivity habits you can begin to incorporate into your life for 2016. Working on these habits just one day at a time will help you to accomplish these tasks more readily, and after one month of these daily habits – you’ll be on your way to a more satisfying life.
Do you have some ideas you would like to share?
©2015 Starting Over Single for GateWay of Hope
Image Attribution: Designed by Kjpargeter – Freepik.com